Friday 7 November 2014

Review: I Want it That Way by Ann Aguirre

I Want it That Way by Ann Aguirre 
Publisher: Harlequin 
Publication Date: August 26th 2014.
My rating: 3 stars


Nadia Conrad has big dreams, and she's determined to make them come true—for her parents' sake as well as her own. But between maintaining her college scholarship and working at the local day care to support herself, she barely has time to think, let alone date. Then she moves into a new apartment and meets the taciturn yet irresistible guy in 1B…. Daniel Tyler has grown up too fast. Becoming a single dad at twenty turned his life upside down—and brought him heartache he can't risk again. Now, as he raises his four-year-old son while balancing a full-time construction management job and night classes, a social life is out of the question. The last thing he wants is for four noisy students to move into the apartment upstairs. But one night, Nadia's and Ty's paths cross, and soon they can't stay away from each other. The timing is all wrong—but love happens when it happens. And you can't know what you truly need until you stand to lose it.

I love my contemporary reads, something cute and fluffy when I’ve had a crap day it’s always known to bring a smile to my face. But you know when you’re just in the mood for something a bit more hot? I really didn’t know where to begin, I’m not normally a fan of a lot of NA books, I need books to offer me something different, so when I first read Aguirre was writing an NA series, I was intrigued and to be honest it was just what I was in the mood for.

Nadia’s just moved into an apartment with her friends for college, it seems to be cheaper living off campus and living with her best Nadia really can’t complain. Then she meets the guy who lives in 1B, he seems a bit obnoxious at first, but boy is he hot! Of course I was expecting Ethan and Nadia to have their share of problems and this long list of reasons why they can’t be together, but I could truly understand this time where Ethan was coming from. Since he’d last been burned I understood that he didn’t want to take a risk, and he was upfront about his feelings, what he was like and what Nadia could expect from him. But still there was this whole sexual tension between Ethan and Nadia for ages honestly I would have been happy just to see a kiss; this for sure was a long time coming!
Aguirre sure had the swoony, hot side nailed, she didn’t shy away from writing a kissing scene and then closing the scene down completely, her scenes were certainly smoking, that I found myself constantly longing for Ethan and Nadia to have their alone time together again, why did they have to be so many restrictions? And why did everyone have to get in the way? *shakes fist*

Despite Ethan and Nadia’s story being the central storyline, I liked how Aguirre infused some important secondary characters into the story too. When things became a bit tense between Ethan and Nadia, it was nice to get to know the other characters a little bit more. One character definitely ended up surprising me I only wished that they got their happy ending.

There was a lot of heartache and anguish our characters had to deal with in I Want it That Way, and although I had a feeling how things would end, I was really surprised at how things ended for some of our characters. I Want it That Way really ended up in surprising me in a lot of ways, it was a book which over looked a lot of cliché aspects that I normally have a tough time dealing with and of course had some of the best sexy scenes I’ve read in a long time! This was my first read by Aguirre, but with the great impression she left on me with this read, it certainly won’t be my last!



10 comments:

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Life is not fair! Everyone is getting some hot boys next door there and me - my neighbors are like 60! Just my luck. Alas, my girl Glass enjoyed this one and while she had some issues with is she said that the second one was better. Maybe you should give it a try now. Great review, Jasprit :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not too keen on heartbreaking books and anguish so I skipped this one. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one, Jasprit. I've only read one book by Ann Aguirre, and I liked it but none of her books really appealed to me for some reason.
Lovely review!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

This was your first Aguirre? Go read Enclave. I am reading the third one in this series right now and I am interested to see what Aguirre does with NA.

Giselle said...

I've read a few NA books but I've become very wary of which one I pick up. I feel like they're all pretty much the same after a while you know. I do love my contemporaries though and this one did intrigue me ever since I saw it was Ann Aguirre and the titles were from BSB songs haha! It sounds like it's def worth the read though I love that it's got so many great, well developed characters, and that she can write sexy scenes like a pro! Great review, hun!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

That's good you liked this one overall. Sometimes I really love the secondary characters and these sound well-done.

Carina Olsen said...

Amazing review Jasprit. <3 I'm sorry you didn't love this one. But glad you still liked it :D Still not my genre, sigh, but I do adore this author. <3 maybe I'll read this one one day. Maybe not. I'm not sure yet :D Anyway. Thank you for sharing and I loved reading your thoughts on this book. <3

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

The first thought that came to mind, when I saw the title was: Backstreet Boys. I agree with another reader, why did hot guys never move in next to me when I was single and living in an apartment? Sigh.. Glad you enjoyed this read. :)

Unknown said...

I had not read anything by Aguirre before this, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I think it could be quite boring for a lot of readers, but I loved the pacing, and the romance was so swoony to me. The only thing I was unsure of was Ty's feelings for his ex - I wish he would have straight up said he didn't love her anymore.
Lovely review, girl!

Danielle @ Love at First Page

Glass said...

My thoughts exactly, Jasprit.
It was heavy on melodrama side sometimes, but it still was enjoyable read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...